I probably shouldn’t call them scones. They are not TECHNICALLY scones for a variety of reasons, but “scones” sound more enticing than “biscuits” to me, so I default to then when I make them. ha
Last Friday when the kids were finally in school and I was not actually having to work, I got the baking itch. And my mind was turning around and over and then I discovered a half-full bag of Ghiradelli white chocolate chips.
I have made something similar before, but THESE outdid all of my other attempts. Rich. Fudgy. Deliciously satisfying.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, chilled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a large cookie sheet with nonfat cooking spray.
- Blend first 5 ingredients in medium sized bowl. Make sure there are no lumps of baking powder!
- Slice the butter into the bowl and begin blending it in with a fork or pastry blender, until you see medium sized crumbs.
- Measure milk into measuring cup and stir in instant coffee granules. Pour into bowl and stir until well blended, and no dry ingredients are sitting at the bottom of the bowl. Incorporate the dates and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Using a large serving spoon, drop batter onto prepared pans. You may need to use more than 1 pan, as these do expand a little while they bake.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes.
These were gone before I even thought about posting them, so I don’t have a picture to share. And I’m out of white chocolate chips & dates so I can’t make another batch.
The dates are hidden in the batter, but they add a really rich, dense, sweetness. Almost a caramel-y feature. It was a wonderful surprise. The coffee adds layers of depth to the chocolate. So these 2 ingredients are what kicked up this batter in a huge way. They were not just chocolate scones. They were delightfully delicious!
When I make them again (cuz I definitely will), I will post a picture and link to this recipe. =)